To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Majlis Ash-Shura: Islamic Leadership Council of New York is excited to launch the Muslim New Yorker of the Year, Muslimah New Yorker of the Year, and Young New Yorker of the Year awards. We expect this to be an annual award that seeks to motivate, inspire, empower Muslims in the New York area, and recognize their great achievements. The awards will be presented on the day of the banquet, Sunday, February 10th, 2019.
Nominations for all awards must be submitted by Wednesday, January 23, 2019. Thereafter, finalists chosen amongst the nominees will be posted on Friday, January 25, 2019. Finally, the public will have the opportunity to vote for the winners by Sunday, February 2, 2019.
To be eligible to receive the awards, nominees must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be Muslims.
- Nominees for Muslim/ah New Yorker of the Year must be age 25+
- Nominees for Young New Yorker of the Year must be from ages 16-24
- Must be residents of New York.
- Must be able to attend the banquet.
- Must have had significant achievement in the year of 2018, unless the achievement was of significant national importance or a long term initiative that still benefits the communities to this day.
- Examples of outstanding achievements include exemplary instances of activism, organizing, movement building, charity work, Islamic studies, education, medicine, and exceptional business practice.