Download Jummah Khutbah Talking Points
The Importance of Masjid al-Aqsa in Islam:
- Masjid al-Aqsa is the second masjid built in Islamic history and the third holiest Islamic site for Muslims after Mecca and Medina.
- The Rasool (PBUH) traveled from Mecca to Jerusalem overnight in the miraculous night journey mentioned in the Qur’an (al-Israa) and ascended into the Heavens from Masjid al-Aqsa (al-Mi’raj).
- The Rasool (PBUH) led all the previous Prophets (Peace be upon them) in worship of Allah (SWT) from his ascent into the Heavens from Masjid al-Aqsa.
- Jerusalem was the first Qibla for Muslims when worshipping before Allah SWT commanded the Qibla to change towards Mecca.
- Allah SWT has placed special significance on Masjid al-Aqsa. It is reported by Sayyidatuna Umme Salamah (May Allah be pleased with her) that “whoever dons the Ihram of Hajj or Umrah from Masjid al-Aqsa to Masjid al-Haram, will be forgiven for all their past and future sins.”
- Sayyiduna Abud Darda reported on the narration of the Prophet (PBUH) that praying in Masjid al-Aqsa is worth 500 times more than praying in any other mosque (except for Mecca and Medina).
Masjid al-Aqsa Under Attack:
- In the Holy month of Ramadan, Israel is further provoking Palestinians by threatening to evict Palestinians from their homes of 70+ years in Jerusalem.
- Israeli military forces raided the Masjid al-Aqsa compound while Palestinians were praying taraweeh on the 25th night of laylatul-Qadr and subsequent days of Ramadan.
- Israeli forces have terrorized and injured hundreds of worshippers, women and children inside Masjid al-Aqsa with stun grenades, and desecrated the holy space.
- Israel’s most recent actions are a continuation of the Zionist settler colonial project to ethnically cleanse Palestinians from Palestine and usurp complete control over all of Palestine with no regard for international human rights or law.
What Should the Muslim Ummah Do
- Continue to expose these atrocities and raise awareness on social media. Israel’s tools of deception attempt to censor their crimes in the public so that they can continue to get away with these actions.
- Demand fair and accountable reporting from media outlets to portray the Palestinian struggle as one against apartheid, oppression and injustice.
- Demand your public officials to issue statements condemning Israel’s actions and continue to push for calls of withholding all foreign aid to Israel which consists of American taxpayer money.
- Do not normalize relations with Zionists in the name of interfaith work. If interfaith settings cannot condemn Zionism, then we have no business with them.
- Politicians who support Israeli aggression against Masjid al-Aqsa should not be invited to Muslim spaces.
- Continue to support the Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions of Israel movement (BDS).
- Join your city’s protests for Palestine.
- Continue to make dua for the oppressed globally.